Monday, February 02, 2009

Scarves

I wonder why most people do not wear scarves.

It is a shame.

Because scarf-wearing is rare, I consider people who wear scarves as distinguished. They have an aura of refinement that whispers that they have something us ordinary folk do not. I am a jealous of that mystique.

What compels the select few scarf-wearing people to wear scarves? Why aren't more of us non-scarf-wearing people converted to their superior fashion lifestyle? These are the questions I wrestle with. I think there may be no answers.

Now, it must be said, that scarves essentially serve no purpose. What is the difference between wearing a scarf and not? None. Yet, some people persist. It reminds me of that Seinfeld joke in which he praises the Chinese for still eating with sticks long after forks were invented. As he says, you must admire the Chinese. Well, you must admire scarf-wearers. There is no reason to wear a scarf, yet some do. Amazing.

The scarf is one of the few things I can respect.

Ah, if only more people wore scarves!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a beautiful scarf for Christmas. I haven't worn it yet, though. It has not been that cold.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to wear it. I think you posted this comment before I could finish writing my post. As you'll see, I would have much more respect for you if you wear a scarf.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Fashion! Perchance to coordinate an outfit?

To keep you warmer on cold days.

Singers wear them to protect their throats.

Because they make you look cool!

I have several -- you can borrow one if you like -- one is man appropriate even!

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of those carry any substance in my view.

I do not believe the myth that scarves keep a person warm!

1:47 AM  
Blogger Fred Hudson said...

Scarves are sheik. Is that word still in vogue? I see film directors and artists in scarves. How would a blue collar boy like me look in a scarve?

7:33 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Myth! Hah! Trust me when you are in the land of the frozen tundra every layer counts.

The scarf fills all the nooks and crannies of the jacket or sweater that you are wearing and seals out the cold wind.

For example a long scarf can be wrapped numerous times - thereby giving more warmth. It could also be wrapped about the face and head to shelter from the wind. We do lose most of our heat out of our heads.

Film Directors & Artists make me think of smoking jackets and ascots - a'la Hugh Hefner.

In my opinion Smoking is so not vogue - Smoking is death!

Perhaps the Hollywood set like them because they are so versatile. You can wear them so many different ways.

It is also D R A M A T I C -- you pause and throw the scarf over your shoulder - draws attention and gives you flair!

That said - No I do not recall seeing a large number of men in the T-Town area wearing scarves.

My family menfolk of the North would wear them and several are blue collar.

Finally - maybe one must have attitude or swagger to wear a scarf. Confidence! The best accessory to any outfit.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you would look fine wearing a scarf as a blue collar boy. I think it would give you some distinction among your fellow Pelham dwellers. It might even help you sell a few more books on campus!

Scarves certainly draw attention and create flair! I guess there might be something redeeming about them then. Part of their appeal, though, is you cannot actually justifiy wearing them.

If directors and artists wear them, it's all the more reason to wear a scarf.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

You Inspired Me!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Fred Hudson said...

I'm hoping someone gets me a scarf for my next birthday, Valentine's Day, or heck, anytime, just for the heck of it.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home