Monday, December 01, 2008

What Irritates Me

Something has become an annoyance, and I want to tell you about it. When I go into the computer room at the clubhouse where I live, often there is someone who is making a lot of noise. In particular, there is a fella who every time he's there plays music quite audibly from his headphones. I always cringe when I see him.

Now, I do not know what you think about this, but here's what I think. The computer room is a quiet place. It hasn't been designated a no noise zone, but it is not a bustling area where you'd expect a lot of noise. Many people go there to do work, myself included. For some interloper to interupt this quietness with music, when I am trying to work especially, is plain unconscionably rude.

Maybe I can't expect there to be no noise in the computer room. Maybe in today's culture of technological proliferation, cell phones buzzing nonstop, everyone walking everywhere with Ipods, I can't expect anyone to respect my need for serenity.

I think my irritation speaks to a larger issue: Is there anywhere we can go anymore to experience a moment's peace? Is there anywhere for us to seek refuge from the bombardment of technology, screens, images, etc.?

I wish I knew of such a place!

2 Comments:

Blogger Fred Hudson said...

The only peace and refuge is in the sanctity of one's own mind.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, not my mind.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home