Friday, December 26, 2008

MOYNA'S MUMBLINGS (3)

Christmas day was one of the best! Fred, Freddy & myself all agree that we had the best time up in north Alabama that we've ever had! As I mentioned in my previous mumbling, we do enjoy getting together with our nephew & his family, but we had an especially good time this trip.

We began our 2 1/2 hour trip around 8:00 a.m. Christmas day here turned out to be a great day - warm & turning sunny by late morning. On the trip up (and back) we listened to all the great Christmas carols....even singing now & then! I don't know about you, but the old Christmas carols would put anyone in the holiday spirit! By the time we reached Muscle Shoals, AL, Dawn had just about everything ready to go. I quickly had to put together the side dishes I brought to get them in the oven. While they were cooking, I got the desserts & other treats I had brought ready & put them out on the table set up in the living room. I'm writing this mumbling to tell you why we were ALL moaning & groaning.....Dawn went to so much trouble (as she always does) to fix quite a spread - but she REALLY OUTDID HERSELF this year!! I honestly don't know how she was still standing & smiling. Including what I brought, here is a list of all we had: ham, turkey, chicken & dressing, black-eyed peas, mashed potatoes, hash brown casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, green bean casserole, broccoli-rice casserole, slaw, orange fluff jello salad, cranberry sauce, stuffed celery, pear salad, macaroni & cheese, and rolls. Do you now understand why we were all moaning??!! But wait...., I haven't gotten to the dessert table yet. On that table we had: lemon pound cake, Harry London chocolates, a Balboa desserts sampler cake, some peanut butter balls, fudge, some Cookies by Design cookies, a pecan pie, some Chex mix, a plate with a variety of cookies, and a bowl of mint malt balls (that was to aid in digesting everything we had consumed; mint is great for that!). I believe I have covered all that was there yesterday. I know you are all saying what a bunch of gluttons, and I would have to agree with you.....sad, but true. AND I ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT though I moaned all the way home! We always appreciate the work Dawn does to make a visitor to their home (whether family or friends) feel special & welcome. THANK YOU SCOTT, DAWN, TONY & TIFFANY for the most wonderful time yesterday!! WE LOVE YOU!!

The food wasn't all that made the day special. Dawn's mother, Ann, joined us. I have been asking for years that she come & be with us when we visit, and this year she did! It was so special having her there. She is a really nice, warm person. I'm hoping she had as good a time as we did & will join us more in the future. I think she liked all the craziness of everyone!

After opening the gifts, we managed to pick ourselves up, and get in the car for our trip back home. We were so tired by the end of the day that we didn't even open our own gifts until this morning. For the most part, today has been a day of rest, so that by tomorrow, I will be ready to go again!

I hope all of you had a wonderful day yesterday, just as we did!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we all appreciate seeing the Herrings. They are a special bunch!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home