Sunday, August 31, 2008

MOYNA'S SOAPBOX (10)

Here it is, late Sunday afternoon, and I'm watching the 5 o'clock news. I'm watching for the latest update of GUSTAV since it will be affecting us here in Alabama. People from New Orleans have listened to their mayor & have been evacuating the crescent city. On one of the major highways from New Orleans to B'ham, it's BUMPER TO BUMPER - and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon. Our governor is planning on changing the southbound lanes of I-65 to northbound to help with the traffic backup. All of the shelters in Birmingham are full, so the people are being sent to other shelters. In B'ham & the surrounding cities, I believe there are enough beds for around 10,000 plus people. The local humane shelters are taking in the pets from the people down on the gulf. This way, the people will know where to find their pets when the storm has passed. People that are already in the shelters here, and went through Katrina, already seem to sort-of be in shock. They just can't believe that they have worked so hard to rebuild their lives from Katrina and now might have to go through it again. New Orleans is a poor city, and it was so hard on the people there to rebuild their lives. Most of the people had lived there their entire lives, so they didn't want to leave their home - but in truth, they can't afford to leave. They have done their best to rebuild their lives, but are looking at the terror of probably having to do it once again. This time, when interviewed, some have said they might not come back. I can't imagine how they must feel....

No, I can't imagine how they feel, but I do know how I feel wondering if the wind is going to hit us like Katrina did. I think that was the most frightening thing I have ever experienced. Tonight is the first time I've really listened to the news about Gustav. I've just sort-of ignored it, thinking it would go away if I didn't think about it. We just finished with 5 days of Fay being here - leaving us with plenty of water & really green lawns that need a mowing! There was only one night of some strong winds with Fay; I was nervous with that, but not scared. Gustav is a different story. We have already been warned that there will be strong winds here with the storm. Fred has already said, "I guess I'll be home on Tuesday." He knows he can't go to work with a storm & strong winds coming.

That's what is happening here with Gustav. Even though I have been watching the news tonight, I'm still trying to ignore Gustav, just pretend he's not around & won't affect us. We shall see what's going to happen beginning tomorrow. I'm praying New Orleans isn't hit anywhere near as hard as it was with Katrina......New Orleans is a great town & there is still a lot of rebuilding to do.

'Til later.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home