Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paul Newman

I did not know Paul Newman and have never known anyone who did know him. All I know is what I’ve read (not much) and his movies.

My impression is that he lived life his own way, not giving a whit what other people thought (other than his family and close friends). Paul Newman always went his own way. I have aspired to the same path.

He didn’t seem to need praise from other people. He didn’t need other people to tell him how good he was. He didn’t need awards. His self-esteem was self-generated based on his internal standards. I have aspired to the same path.

“Just standing in the rain, talking to myself.” Remember that scene from “Cool Hand Luke”? This might have been the most philosophical thing a Paul Newman character ever said. I love that scene.

“We have only to believe in ourselves, and act for justice.” If you need me to tell you which movie this one is from, then you are not a real Paul Newman fan. I have a feeling that Paul Newman believed in himself. I have aspired to the same path.

“I’m the best and even if you beat me, I’m still the best.” he says to Minnesota Fats. I think I liked Paul Newman best when he did those characters (like Hud) with that attractive arrogance, like Henry Gondorff in “The Sting” when he wins at poker on that train by cheating and laughs at Doyle Lonnegan.

Paul Newman seemed to be always youthful, always magnanimous, always progressive politically. There was a lot to like and respect in Paul Newman. His legacy will live on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A favorite movie is Road to Perdition. When Tom Hanks confronts Paul Newman, that is one of the best scenes I've seen. I remember Newman for that.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home