Monday, May 04, 2009

MOYNA'S MUMBLINGS (7)

I have decided to write this BEFORE the graduation & wedding season begins. Usually by the end of the summer, I am half-crazed because of today's youth - AND their parents!! I have written about this once before - actually, about someone in particular, but this will be general comments. It has already begun to bother me because I know the time is coming.

Here's my soapbox issue: it makes me so blazing mad that today's youth have not been taught or just don't care about proper etiquette. I can't even count how many times I have given a graduation gift, wedding gift, baby gift, etc., and have never received a thank you note - or even a VERBAL thank you!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH TODAY'S YOUTH?!! I also blame the parents. They are not teaching their children or following up to see that the kids have written a thank you. They don't seem to care either. Doesn't anyone care anymore what kind of impression they are giving? I've actually been so bold a couple of times to nag the parents to make sure their kids sit down and write a note - how SAD is it to have to do that? I think one of the reasons it makes me mad (besides the poor example of manners) is that I give nice gifts. I gave a wedding gift to one of Freddy's friends a couple of years ago - a gift that's in the famous blue box - you know, from the place where Audrey Hepburn had breakfast (Tiffany's for those of you who are too young to remember the movie). At the last minute, the couple called off the wedding. Not only did they NOT return the gift, they didn't send a thank you note either. I'm still steaming about that! We have also given other gifts where we did not receive a thank you note. And these people that received the gifts can't even give us a verbal thank you when we see them in person. Some of these kids act like it's their right to get these gifts - they are entitled - so why should they thank us for it - we should be grateful for the privilege of giving to them!

Boys seem to be worse than girls at writing thank you notes. Is this because people don't expect boys to have manners or know proper etiquette? This year I might be lucky, I'm only buying for girls!! Hopefully, they have been raised well.....we shall see.

Let's all try to remember our manners - even just a simple thing like a "THANK YOU."

Thank You all for listening to my rantings --- 'Til later.