Monday, June 02, 2008

Today

I went to the orientation for SLIS. It was very informative and helpful.

Some of the highlights:

1) When I arrived, I saw a girl I knew who I worked with for over two years at the English Center. She is in the program, having completed her second semester. It was quite a trip to see her again!

2) There is a list serv I joined in which various announcements, job postings, articles, and other things are posted, including students wishing to sell things (like couches). This is a great idea that I think will be useful.

3) They provided a pizza lunch.

4) Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. My impression is that SLIS folks are a tight knit fun group.

5) A lot of the students are interested in medical libraries.

6) A lot of the students commute, especially from Birmingham. One commutes from Huntsville.

7) A lot of the students are/were teachers.

8) One student just finished an internship at the State Department.

Later in the day, I met with the staff of the Bruno Library to establish a work schedule.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fred Hudson said...

Sounds exciting!

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone say, "SH!" and shake their heads at you?

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only that, but many sneered and shook their fists at me.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home