Sunday, January 27, 2008

MOYNA'S SOAPBOX (5)

AT LAST!!! The sun has finally appeared! It's still cold, but the day looks so much nicer now that the sun is out. The weather people say this will be short-lived, that we will be having thunderstorms - some severe - by the end of the week.

Well, as of 9:30 pm (or around that time) yesterday (Jan. 26th), our niece, Jaime O'Riley, became Mrs. James de Leon in Honolulu, Hawaii. Fred and I were not able to attend, but Freddy was there to represent our family. I'm sure everyone that was in attendance had a great time! Jaime is a beautiful young woman and I know she made a most stunning bride. Fred and I are anxious to see all the pictures Freddy took of the wedding and reception! Of course, with me having done catering, I'm anxious to see how the food and cake were presented! The wedding was at dusk, the Pacific ocean and Diamond Head as the backdrop - how romantic is that?! We wish the couple all of God's best.

Freddy has called a couple of times since arriving. He said the minute you get off of the plane, you can really feel the humidity. Having grown-up in the South, I can't imagine that it should bother him...! He was excited about his hotel room - he has a view of the Pacific ocean and a balcony for sitting outside. He said it's the best hotel he has ever stayed in. I told Fred he said that because it's the first time he has stayed in a nice hotel WITHOUT US!! It's nice to have all that room to yourself! From what he has told us, he is managing to pack a lot of activities into his days. He and his cousin Eric went to see Pearl Harbor (actually a person visits the USS Arizona memorial) Thursday. That took most of the day because you have to wait for a launch to take you out to the memorial. We can't wait to hear about all of Freddy's sightseeing adventures!! I know he was also excited and couldn't wait to try local food establishments. He and Eric went to a Thai restaurant the first night Freddy was there.

While Freddy has gone off to Hawaii, I have been here taking - or at least TRYING - care of his two turtles - Orbit and Dent. Nothing like stressing over a couple of turtles! I'm just hoping they don't die on me while in my care. I had to take a branch out of their tank because it was growing green, slimy stuff. I was afraid it would kill them. I had Fred go to the pet store and get a dock that was OK to sit in water. I think I'm going to wait until Freddy returns to let him put the turtles back in the tank. In the meantime, I'm hoping the filter will remove any grunge that might be in the tank from the tree branch. Orbit and Dent are in their travel container now; the poor things are probably stressed to the limit with all the moving they have done the past couple of weeks!

For those of you that know me, you know that I have been PRAYING for the past few years for a good snow here - just enough to last 3 or 4 days - WITHOUT losing our power. Well, a little over a week ago, we had some snow...and it was the most PITIFUL snow I have EVER seen! The flakes coming down were so small you had to ask yourself, "Are those flakes or is that sleet?" We ended up with about 1" of snow, but it was gone in 4 hours or so. This "snow event" had been built-up big time by the weather people. They kept telling us to expect 3" to 6" of snow. It was one of those "clear the grocery store shelves" snow events. It was suppose to begin after midnight, but we didn't see a flake until around 10 am the next morning. Why, oh why, do I keep getting my hopes up?! Why do I continue to believe the weather people know what they are talking about?? I will continue to pray for a good snow, but my faith isn't quite as strong...

I guess that's about it for now. 'Til later.

P.S. Freddy just called a little bit ago...it sounds like he missed most of the wedding ceremony...!! Seems like he was touring the DOLE PINEAPPLE plantation and didn't get back to the hotel in time to see all of the ceremony. I guess we won't have too many pictures of the actual ceremony... He said the reception, though, was a lot of fun!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home